Monday, August 13, 2007

It is clear that many more resources are needed to approach and deal with the epidemic of AIDS. The work that WHF was doing with such very little resources was truly heroic. I’ll be posting some more photos from their project but to my mind, education and women’s reproductive healthcare are cornerstones for dealing with poverty and AIDS. I inadvertently documented a community of women in Ghana where there was no family planning or educational opportunities. The birth rate was 10 or higher, there were no schools to attend, children worked with their parents from the earliest age possible, and, from what I was told, parents sold some of their children to support the rest of their families. I also had the privilege of documenting a microfinance project in Pokuase Ghana run by the Women’s Trust Foundation and found that to be a very positive model for improving the lives of people in the community. I will be posting images from this work at a later date.

No comments: